Psychiatric Technician AS Degree
The West Hills Community College Psychiatric Technician Program is an approved program by the California Board of Licensed Vocational Nurses and Psychiatric Technicians. This accelerated program is divided into three main content areas, nursing science, developmental disorders, and psychiatric nursing. Program participants will receive didactic and hands-on experiences to apply the nursing process in the planning and implementation of care for clients with a variety of special needs. Participants will be introduced to the professional psychiatric technician standards related to professionalism and safety and grow in the role of client advocate and sponsor. The Psychiatric Technician Training Program will prepare the student in a variety of health care settings. Upon completion of the Psychiatric Technician Training Program, students will receive a certificate or associate degree and qualify to take the licensure exam from the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.
This is an intensive certificate/degree program. Classes will meet at the college, local hospitals, mental health facilities, Coalinga State Hospital, Porterville Developmental Center, and other approved facilities to accommodate the clinical aspects of instruction.
Upon completion of the psychiatric technician program, the student will be able to:
- Calculate the correct medication dosages.
- Discuss and demonstrate the importance of accurate communication and documentation in the various health care settings within their scope of practice.
- Apply the nursing process to implement an appropriate plan of care for the client with medical, developmental disabilities and mental illness disorders.
- Identify signs and symptoms of medical, developmental disabilities, and mental disorders
Students must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for an associate degree:
- Complete the Associate Degree requirements
- Complete major course requirements as specified in the catalog with a C or better
- Complete electives to reach a total of 60 degree applicable units
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.00 overall
- Complete the English and math competency requirements with a C or better
|Required Core Courses|
|PT 101||Psychiatric Tech Training Program Orientation||1.5|
|VNTP-050||Anatomy for Nurses||2|
|VNTP-051||Fundamentals of Nursing||5|
|VNTP-051L||Fundamental of Nursing Clinical||3|
|PT 052||Medical Surgical Nursing||4.5|
|PT 052L||Medical Surgical Nursing Clinical||3|
|VNPT 081||Pharmacology 1||1|
|VNPT 060||Life Span for Nurses||2|
|PT 061||Intro. to Developmental Disabilities||5|
|PT 061L||Intro to Develop Disabilities Clinical||3|
|PT 062||Developmental Disabilities||4.5|
|PT 062L||Developmental Disab Nursing Clinical||3|
|VNPT 082||Pharmacology 2||1|
|VNPT 070||Psychology for Nurses||2|
|PT 071||Introduction to Mental Disorders||5|
|PT 071L||Intro to Mental Disorders Clinical||3|
|PT 072||Mental Disorders||4.5|
|PT 072L||Mental Disorders Clinical||3|
|VNPT 083||Pharmacology 3||1|
Program Prerequisites, Corequisite or Advisory Courses
For Consideration of eligibility to the Psychiatric Technician Training Program, applicant must meet current admission criteria and all of the following:
- HS 080 – Introduction to Medical Professionals
- HS 088 – Medical Terminology for Health Careers
- VNTP 090 – Math for Medical Professionals
Program Prerequisite Skills and/or Knowledge
- Show proof of a current American Heart Association, Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers Certificate.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Show evidence of high school graduation or equivalent (GED or CHSPE).
- Submit a complete application to West Hills College.
- Submit a complete and current application to the West hills College Psychiatric Technician Training Program.
- Be able to read, write and communicate at college level.
- Complete and pass a physical, background check and drug screen.
- In addition to the prerequisites, applicants are strongly advised to possess an active California certification as a nursing assistant.
Psychiatric Technician Certificate of Achievement
Completion of the 57 units listed above fulfills the requirements for the Psychiatric Technician Certificate of Achievement.
For Gainful Employment information please visit: