Are you concerned that you can't go to college because of your immigration status?

If you dream of a better future, you can prepare for it, even without papers, AND you can pay lower in-state tuition instead of out-of-state tuition if you qualify for SB 68/AB 540. This is possible because of a state law known as SB 68/AB 540 or the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption.

Key information
  • AB 540 exempts students (including undocumented students) who meet eligibility requirements from out-of-state tuition fees.

    In 2017, AB 540 was expanded through SB68 to include adult schools and CA Community Colleges (non-credit and credit classes) attendance and other graduation or degree requirements

  • Qualifying for AB 540/SB 68 provides students with the ability to pay resident fees and apply for the state-based financial aid through the CA Dream Act, if eligible. AB 540/SB 68 also allows eligible students to 1) participate in EOP&S and EOP at the CCC, CSU & UC and 2) receive the admissions application fee waiver at the CSU & UC.

  • Undocumented individuals, T and U visa holders, U.S. citizens, and lawfully present immigrants who meet the eligibility criteria can qualify for AB 540 / SB 68. Unfortunately, individuals with international student visas, visitor visas, or other "Non-Immigrant" statuses are not eligible to apply for in-state tuition.

  • To qualify you must have satisfy one component from column A and one component from column B
    Column A Column B
    3 full-time years of attendance or attainment of equivalent credits earned in a California: Fulfill one of the following:
    • High School
      (Must be an established school by the State Board of Education)
    • Graduate from a CA High School
    • Adult School
      (Full-time attendance = minimum of 420 hrs per school year)
      (Must be established by one of the following:
      • County Office of Education
      • Unified School District / High School District
      • The Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation)
    • Obtain a Certificate of completion, GED, HiSet, or TASC in CA
    • Community College:
      • Credit Courses = 12 units/semester or the quarter equivalent and a max of 2 years of Full-time attendance
      • Non-Credit Courses = 420 hours per school year = Full-time
    • Attain an associate degree form a CA Community College
    • Any combination of the above
    • Fulfill minimum transfer requirements for UC or CSU
    3 years of high school coursework and 3 years of total attendance in a California:
    • Elementary school
    • Secondary/middle school
    • Or any combination of these two
  • In order to qualify for in-state tuition under AB 540 or SB 68, you must complete the California non-resident tuition exemption form.

    California non-resident tuition exemption form

    Along with this form you will also need to submit official transcripts or attendance records from any and all the schools listed on your form.

    If you have any questions about the form or if you are eligible for in-state tuition, please reach out to us and we will be more than happy to discuss this with you. You can also use the CA In-State Tuition Tool developed by Immigrants Rising to find out about your particular situation

    View our Student Data Protection Policy
Have Questions? We can help.

Ready to Apply?

Follow these easy steps to get started



Apply for Admission

Begin your free online application today by filling out our Admission Application

Apply for Financial Aid

West Hills is committed to assisting students and their families in meeting the cost of a college education. Learn more about financial assistance available to you and how to apply.

Learn more about paying for College >

Complete Online Orientation

Complete our online orientation to get familiar with the college and services available to help you succeed.

Meet With A Counselor

Schedule an appointment with a Counselor to get a customized educational plan based on a multiple measures assessment to help set you on a path to success.

Register & Pay for Classes

Once you have your educational plan, you can search and register for classes. Remember that you can register for classes up to a whole year in advance.

West Hills Spotlight

Stay in-the-know regarding West Hills with updated news and featured events.