The focus of the Student Support Services program is to provide a comprehensive educational support system through the delivery of direct services and a place where students can receive individualized assistance to achieve academically.
Student Support Services(SSS) Program is a federal TRIO Program that serves first generation, low-income, and disabled students. It provides academic support and guidance to help WHC students meet the challenges in obtaining a certificate, a degree, and transferring to a four-year college. SSS serves 250 participants each project year. If you are committed to achieving success, SSS may help you to achieve your academic and career goals!
Students who receive SSS services must meet certain eligibility criteria by state law. Students must be seeking to earn a degree, have a need for academic support, and be a U.S. citizen.Low-income individual
an individual whose family's income did not exceed 150 percent of the poverty level in the previous year
First-generation college student
neither parent received a bachelor’s degree.
person who, because of a physical disability, needs specifically designed instructional materials or programs, modified physical facilities, or related services in order to participate fully in the experience and opportunities offered by post-secondary educational institutions.
To qualify for SSS You Must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or meet residency requirements to receive federal student financial assistance
- Be a full-time student enrolled at WHC working towards a certificate, AA/AS degree and transfer to a four-year college or university
- Have a need for academic support
- Be in good academic standing (2.5 GPA)
- Have attempted less than 65 college units
- Be eligible for English 110 and 51 or higher
- One or more of the following must apply:
- You are from a low income family and/or,
- Your parents did not graduate from a four-year college and/or,
- You have a disability.
- Academic Advising
- Priority Registration
- Career planning
- Student Success Workshops
- Financial Aid Information
- Financial Literacy Information
- Transfer Assistance
- Cultural Events
- College Campus Tours
- Laptops and Book Lending